Sunday, April 24, 2011

Chia Energy Bars

Since most protein/energy bars, that I have seen atleast, seem to have a lot of processed ingredients and some dairy, I figured I'd try making some natural ones on my own.  I found a recipe that seemed pretty easy and didn't require a lot of ingredients.  Whole Foods had what I needed.  I got a little concerned as I don't have a food processor, just a blender and then I noticed the recipe said the bars were mushy and suggested not taking them on runs.  The blender seemed to be ok, and I didn't use the frozen strawberries, so they really weren't mushy.  I put them in bar form and wrapped them in tinfoil and left them in the freezer overnight.  Due to the heat during my race today, I didn't really eat them as I really needed liquids and not solids.  I had a small bar before the race and a bite every now and then during the race.  The dates give them a sweet taste and texture.  If I make this again, I might consider using something else for texture or maybe less dates and more strawberries.  Not sure how much energy I got from the chia.

http://www.nomeatathlete.com/chia-energy-bars/

No comments:

Post a Comment